Limescale is a grimy white mineral residue formed by high levels of magnesium and calcium in hard water. It often gathers in shower screens and leaves the screen with gray dullness. Besides its staining effect, the hard water minerals combine with ingredients found in household cleaners, making them less effective as cleaning agents. Overtime, the mineral build-up can cause damage to the shower screen and make these pesky stains almost impossible to eliminate. The following is a cleaning guide to help you remove limescale off your shower screen,
What you will need
- A newspaper
- A soft piece of towel or rag
- White vinegar
- Baking soda
- Lemon juice
- Rubber gloves
- Firstly, ensure you put on your rubber gloves.
- Get rid of limescale using a sheet of newspaper. This is because a newspaper serves as a reducing agent on the mineral build-up. Crumple a sheet of dry newsprint and wipe the whole surface of the screen. The friction generated by the dry newsprint helps get out majority of the surface dirt as well as soap scum that sticks to the pesky mineral stain.
- Next, wet another sheet of newsprint in lukewarm water and wipe the screen with it. Repeat this process with another sheet of newsprint until the screen surface is spotless.
- Dry the shower screen with a clean, dry towel.
- Vinegar contains acetic acid, which helps dislodge mineral deposits in glass surfaces. Add a bit of lemon juice into the vinegar solution to boost its overall effectiveness and give out a fresh lemon smell. Do note that lemon juice is similarly an acid and boasts of a similar effect on mineral buildup as vinegar.
- Drench the shower screen with the vinegar solution. Use a clean, dry cloth to wipe the screen clean.
- Combine equal amounts of white vinegar and baking soda, resulting in a wet, sticky paste. Proceed to spread an even amount of the paste on the whole shower screen.
- Allow the paste to sit for approximately 10 minutes.
- Using a clean, dry cloth, wipe the shower screen clean. This is important to prevent continued mineral buildup overtime.
The maddening aspect concerning limescale is that it constantly attempts to come back. To help avert this possibility, it is important to devise a routine cleaning schedule. In the end, you can enjoy the sight of a sparkling clean shower screen in your home. For more information or advice, contact a business such as ShowerFix.